Launched in Johannesburg in 1993, the Professional Editors’ Guild (PEG) represents copy-editors, proofreaders and other language practitioners operating in the publishing and communications industries, academia, the corporate and marketing environments, the media and government.
PEG is also a founding member of the Alliance of Language and Media Practitioners (LAMP), through which it is represented on the South African Book Development Council (SABDC).
Our members include both freelancers and full-timers who work professionally in any of South Africa’s eleven official languages (plus many others) as copy-editors, writers, rewriters (also known as ‘overwriters’), proofreaders, translators, indexers, book designers, subeditors, and book and magazine DTP specialists. We also welcome as members individuals who are not (or not yet) practising in these fields but have an interest in them.
PEG serves practitioners throughout South and southern Africa. It has also been extending its international reach.
- To promote high standards of copy-editing and proofreading
- To uphold the professional status of copy-editors and promote professional behaviour among members
- To promote contact among members, the exchange of ideas and the dissemination of information on matters of professional interest
- To promote an understanding of the work of copy-editors among potential clients and the general public
- To establish and maintain liaison with other societies of copy-editors worldwide
Membership is available in the following categories. Please visit the PEG website for a detailed description of requirements and benefits for each available category.
- Student member
- Associate member
- Full member
- Accredited member
Annual membership fees
Individual membership: R445 for Associate, Full and Accredited members
Student membership: R195
(Members residing outside southern Africa pay for additional bank charges.)
To register as a member, please go here
Ellyn Barry – firstname.lastname@example.org