The South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) is a professional association for language practice professionals in South Africa. Membership is open to all translators, interpreters, editors, proofreaders, text reviewers, terminologists, copywriters and anyone else involved in the language practice industry. SATI is not an employment agency.
- To promote the interests of the translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology professions
- To ensure high standards of professionalism among its members, among other things through accreditation and the adoption of codes of good conduct
- To provide support for its members both in their occupational lives and as members of a multicultural and dynamic society
- To undertake and promote research in the fields of translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology
- To obtain appropriate publicity for the translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology professions
- To cooperate with relevant institutions of higher education and other organisations, associations and bodies to promote common interests and action
- To compile guides on language and translation, interpreting, text editing and terminology
- To work towards improving the quality of training for translators, interpreters, text editors and terminologists
Membership of SATI is open to anyone interested in translation and the related professions in their individual capacity and also to translation agencies and corporate language offices. There are currently no qualifying professional requirements for individual membership, but accredited individual membership requires a pass in the Institute’s examination. Language offices may be accredited if a certain percentage of their employees are accredited. Only agencies registered in South Africa may become members of the Institute. Only accredited members have voting rights in the Institute.
Annual membership fees
An annual subscription is payable, which fee reduces each quarter for new members.
New members pay a once-off entrance fee and members residing outside South Africa pay additional fees for bank charges.
Fee details are available here.
To register as a member, please go here
Marion Boers – email@example.com
Find us on Facebook