Safrea is a professional association of freelance specialists in the communications field. Members are writers, journalists, photographers, editors, proofreaders, graphic designers, illustrators, researchers, translators and other experts in communication who offer a broad range of skills and specialities.
Founded in 1999, Safrea promotes the interests of freelance media specialists working to raise their professional standing to make their freelance careers more rewarding. Besides a national executive committee, there are regional branches throughout much of the sub-region.
- To promote the interests of freelance professionals in the written, visual or broadcast fields
- To foster solidarity and excellence among freelancers and promote cooperation in all matters of common concern
- To stimulate professional standards and ethical conduct in both freelancers and employers
- To provide information that will help freelancers negotiate suitable payments and contracts
- To provide a forum for the dissemination of information useful to freelancers and prospective clients
- To serve as the collective voice of freelance media professionals in the Southern African region
Membership is open to any freelance media professional in Southern Africa who specialises in the gathering and dissemination of news, information, aspects of literary work and/or images. Membership is granted to bona fide media specialists and media students and you may be asked to submit examples of your work and two trade references.
Annual membership fees
Safrea offers four main types of membership, each with slightly different benefits. View the Membership benefits comparison table here
Provisional Associate: R550.00
To register as a member, please go here
Administrator Bruce Cooper – email@example.com